Monday, August 23, 2010

The big day! (day three)

Saturday=competition day. I have pictures this time but they are all out of order so I'm going to tell about my day and then you can look at the pictures. We met bright and early in the square to play some tunes with a couple other bands for the entertainment of the general public. Then it was off to the fairgrounds for the actual competition. Mass bands (which is where all the bands play all together and there are about 150 of us marching down a field.) was at noon and the games were officially started. after that, we had a lunch break and the band ordered pizza. I was so hungry, I ate three gigantic slices! I felt like a pig but it was sooo good! Then I took mother to look at some of the vendors selling their celtic wares. I've been saying i wanted a skindig (dagger that slides into your sock) for a while and she always says how dumb that sounds. but once she saw all the other pipers wearing them and saw them for sale, she wanted to buy me one, haha! I didn't see one I really liked there so i'm going to wait on that one. Then it was time for the march medley! we warmed up and tuned for about an hour and then marched onto the field and played. Its quite exciting to compete- everything you have been practicing and working for all year comes together in that short but very long five minutes and you can see the judges walking around the circle out of the corner of your eye. after that there was another bit of a break and then it was time for quick march medley. I wasn't going to play in this one but DeAnne had me play her pipes for warm up so keep hers in tune while she worked on everybody else's. One big problem with this. DeAnne is short. which means her pipes are small. Well her blow pipe is, anyway. I had to scrunch my head down to reach it and it kept popping out of my mouth and every time it did, i bit my lip. ouch! so then I watched them march off and play. after that, there was some time to relax, wander around, and then back to the pipes for another mass bands and then finding out what the scores were. We placed third in both medleys. which isn't bad but it isn't great either. my band consistently places third in every competition. But the important thing is that we get better than the last time we played and we have a bucket load of fun doing it. And we did :) so thats alright. Once we got back to the hotel, we got in the hot tub, showered, and went into town for some shopping and eating. Jackson hole has some great shops, but everything is stupid overpriced! So we had fun looking but didn't buy anything. There's this one antique shop that had crazy expensive things. They had this bowl of rings just sitting out on the counter and one of them was a $2300 ring! yeah, just sitting out where you could pick it up and put it on. crazy. Well we finally made it to a resteraunt around 8:30 and the wait to be seated was over a half hour. but it looked like a really good place so we waited. Its called The Merry Piglets. It a mexican place and they have murals of pigs on all the walls. ha, kinda funny. it was fun though. ok, enough narrating. look at pictures now.
this place had a bunch of cool artistic sculptures. Mom really like bears and mooses. I'm not sure why but if anything has a moose on it, mom likes it. And bears. So she made me get a picture with this artisticly shaped bear.

Outside the cool restaurant we went to. the food was delicious! and i made another discovery. turns out chipotle sauce is spicy. I didn't know that before. I do now.

This picture was actually taken at the end of the day just before we headed back to the hotel.






mass bands!



warming up for competition.


this was in the morning, warming up for our little performance in the park. I think my mom took a lot of pictures of this because I was standing next to a large metal moose. or maybe it was an elk. whatever.



playing at the park


1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love the pictures. It was fun talking to you today