Thursday, May 22, 2014

Can you all see me? Can you all... HEAR me.

There is something about playing a loud, obnoxious instrument in a public place that attracts an audience. I should have been burying my head in scientific research analysis, but the sunset was captivating, and the warm weather and sweet spring smell were intoxicating, and I couldn't stay inside. Neither could my bagpipes. The day was one for open windows and doors for all the non-air-conditioned complexes, and it wasn't long before I held a captive audience leaning through windows, and over balconies, and stopping in the street. I laughed at the applause and cheers. They don't even realize how out of tune and rusty I sound from not playing for months at a time. But it feels good anyway. Someone walked across the street, maybe to get a closer look, but then he came right up to me to ask if I had a minute.
"So I play accordion," what?? you play accordion? I love you! lets be friends. Will you teach me? "and I play a lot of traditional folk music. My accordion teacher played bagpipes. Anyway, would you wanna jam sometime?"
"Oh yeah, sure." No one has ever asked me to jam with them before even though I obviously wanted to my whole life forever! Score! Is this real? What if I play with him, and he finds out how bad I am? What if we started a band?
We walked up the street to his apartment to get his accordion, and after much noise making that could hardly be recognized as any sort of music, and sideways looks from passerby, the sun went down, I wore my face out, and we each learned a tune from the other.
I walked home with a feeling of elation, of energy, of life! That sounded awful. We could totally start a band. I hope he teaches me accordion. I could get good at this. I love playing with people. Best day ever.

No comments: